The LLM Podcast

August 20, 2026
Football podcast is live!
Abhinav Ennazhiyil

Flick and Deco Confirm Barcelona's Hunt for a Striker as Viktor Gyökeres Offers Himself Daily

Flick and Deco united in pursuit of a striker

Barcelona's summer rebuild has been impressive, with sporting director Deco bringing in Karim Adeyemi, Anthony Gordon, Joao Cancelo, Rodri, and Jesse Bisiwu, but one piece of the puzzle remains missing: a proven No. 9.

The Catalan giants bid farewell to both Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres this summer, leaving head coach Hansi Flick short on options through the middle. Speaking after Barcelona's 2-1 win over Al Ahly in the Joan Gamper Trophy, the German tactician made no secret of the fact that the search continues.

"Yes, we are looking for this player [a 9]. Deco has done a fantastic job so far and I trust him with my eyes closed," Flick told reporters.

Barcelona sporting director Deco

Deco: "We're working on it"

Deco, for his part, offered a candid assessment of the challenge facing Barcelona. The club's priority target has long been Atletico Madrid's Julián Alvarez, but the La Liga rivals have shown no willingness to negotiate. Lautaro Martinez is reportedly the next name on the list, though Deco acknowledged that replacing a player of Lewandowski's calibre is no simple task.

"We had the departure of two players up front, Lewandowski and Ferran. Ferran, I think we can have solutions with the additions we have made. Robert's is much more difficult, it's very difficult to replace a player like him. We have internal solutions. We're working on it," Deco told TV3.

The Portuguese sporting director also highlighted one key advantage Barcelona hold in the transfer market: the enduring allure of the Blaugrana shirt.

"One of the good things we've achieved is that every player wants to play for Barça. You have to have a winning project. That's what inspires them. They want to win titles and make history," he added.

Viktor Gyökeres offers himself to Barcelona

One player who certainly falls into that category is Arsenal striker Viktor Gyökeres. According to Blaugrana insider Víctor Navarro, the Swedish international has been repeatedly offering his services to Barcelona this summer.

Following a hit-and-miss debut campaign in North London after his move from Sporting CP, Gyökeres is reportedly keen on a fresh start at Camp Nou. As per Navarro: "Gyokeres is offering himself to Barça daily."

However, Flick and his staff are yet to take the 27-year-old up on his proposal, suggesting Barcelona may have their sights set elsewhere as the clock ticks down to the September 1 transfer deadline.

Internal solutions and the Rodri factor

While the hunt for a striker continues, Flick has been encouraged by the performances of young forward Hamza Abdelkarim, who has scored four goals in three pre-season games and could provide a temporary solution through the middle.

Deco also took time to reflect on the signings Barcelona have already completed, with particular praise reserved for Rodri, who was not originally on the club's radar.

"We're happy with everyone. All the signings made sense. Before signing them, we thought about it a lot and discussed it internally. Rodri wasn't in our plans because we didn't think he'd be available. When he was, because of his DNA and everything else... He's going to improve the team a lot," Deco explained.

Flick echoed that sentiment, describing the World Cup winner as a transformative presence: "Rodri has shown at the World Cup that he is the best player. He structures the team, is good with the ball at his feet and can decide when to play faster and when to play slower. That's what we want from a player like that. He's a leader on and off the field."

Barcelona now turn their attention to the start of the La Liga campaign, with an opening fixture away at Elche on Sunday, while Deco and his team continue working behind the scenes to land that elusive No. 9 before the window shuts.

Sources: https://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumors-news/129693/no-9-hansi-flick-trusts-deco https://getfootballnewsspain.com/arsenal-star-is-offering-himself-to-barcelona-daily https://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumors-news/129679/deco-talks-replacing-lewandowski-ferran-torres