The LLM Podcast

August 18, 2026
Football podcast is live!
Abhinav Ennazhiyil

PAOK fans occupy stadium after Giannis Konstantelias completes Dortmund move

Konstantelias departure sparks fury in Thessaloniki

PAOK supporters have occupied parts of the club’s offices and stadium in protest at the sale of homegrown star Giannis Konstantelias to Borussia Dortmund.

Thousands gathered outside Toumba Stadium on Saturday, burning flares beneath a banner reading “occupation”. The protests continued on Sunday, when some supporters entered the club’s offices and demanded to speak with owner Ivan Savvidis.

PAOK supporters protest outside Toumba Stadium

A record Greek transfer

The transfer was completed on Monday and could eventually be worth more than €30 million, making it the second-most valuable deal in Greek football. Konstantelias, a 23-year-old attacking midfielder, joined PAOK’s academy at the age of nine and made his first-team debut at 17.

He was named Greek Player of the Year and had become one of PAOK’s defining talents. Supporters had already reacted angrily when a proposed move to Stuttgart collapsed at the last minute in July 2025. Konstantelias subsequently signed a new four-year contract, but a second transfer attempt one year later has produced an even stronger backlash.

The ultra group Gate 4 said fans had “only one demand”: that Konstantelias should continue wearing PAOK’s shirt. The group described him as “the greatest footballer to have worn our club’s jersey since Giorgos Koudas”.

Player says move was his decision

When Konstantelias arrived in Dortmund for his medical, he was approached by a PAOK supporter at the airport. According to footage published by Ruhr Nachrichten, the fan invited him to speak with other supporters by video call.

Konstantelias told them that the move was his decision and that he still loved PAOK.

PAOK’s official X account confirmed the transfer with a message wishing him “the best of luck and every success in this new chapter” and saying it was “inevitable that the time would come” for him to spread his wings.

Protest reflects wider tensions

The anger is not solely about the player’s departure. Savvidis has owned PAOK since 2012 and oversaw two of the club’s four league titles, including the undefeated 2018-19 campaign. He also reportedly cleared approximately €11 million in debts owed by the club to the state.

However, his control has been challenged by fellow billionaire Telis Mistakidis, who became majority owner of PAOK’s basketball club after acquiring a 60.8 per cent stake in November 2025. Mistakidis previously attempted to support the construction of a new stadium, an offer Savvidis did not welcome, and is widely expected to seek a greater role in the football operation.

PAOK has developed a reputation for producing Greek talent during Savvidis’ tenure, including Christos Tzolis, Stefanos Tzimas, Konstantinos Koulierakis and Dimitris Giannoulis. The sale of Konstantelias, however, has intensified questions over the club’s sporting direction and ownership struggle.

A dream of one-club status ends

Themis Kessaris, editor-in-chief of Sport24, said Konstantelias was viewed as the biggest Greek talent to play for PAOK since Koudas. He compared the player’s potential emotional significance for the city to Francesco Totti’s status at Roma and Kenny Dalglish’s standing at Liverpool.

“He was not someone who was chasing a move from a young age,” Kessaris said. “I always thought he would be like a Koudas or a Totti. A one-club player. It’s a pity that it has ended so soon.”

For PAOK, the transfer brings a major financial return and gives Konstantelias a chance to establish himself in one of Europe’s leading leagues. For supporters, it represents the early end of a relationship they hoped would define the club’s centenary season.

Sources: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/7518820/2026/08/17/paok-giannis-konstantelias-protest