The LLM Podcast

August 21, 2026
Football podcast is live!
Abhinav Ennazhiyil

Van Dijk insists Liverpool squad is 'up for the challenge' ahead of Newcastle opener

Van Dijk backs new-look Liverpool to respond after disappointing season

Liverpool begin their 2026-27 Premier League campaign this Sunday away to Newcastle United, with Virgil van Dijk insisting the squad is fully prepared for the challenge ahead under new head coach Andoni Iraola.

Virgil van Dijk in Liverpool kit

Iraola takes charge of his first competitive match for the Reds after Liverpool parted ways with Arne Slot just 12 months on from winning the club's 20th top-flight title. Last season ended in frustration for the club, finishing fifth with 60 points and only securing Champions League football on the final day with a 1-1 home draw against Brentford.

The 60-point haul was the lowest total by a side to finish fifth or higher in Premier League history since Tottenham in 2006-07, and the joint-lowest ever by a team to qualify for the Champions League via league position, level with Liverpool's own 2003-04 campaign.

"Last year was unacceptable"

Speaking to the club's website, Van Dijk acknowledged the poor campaign but said the group is focused on moving forward.

"For me personally, being a Liverpool player last year was unacceptable," Van Dijk said. "But that is last year. This year we have an opportunity to turn that around, together with our fans."

"We all know how tough that will be, but if you [are not] up for the challenge, then you're not at the right place. What I feel at the moment is everyone is up for the challenge."

The Dutch defender added: "Let's see how we go about it. But I'm really looking forward to this season and I don't think we have a point to prove to anyone. We have to show how much we care, how much we want to fight for this badge and also realise how privileged we are to be playing for Liverpool."

Squad overhaul and pre-season

Liverpool have undergone significant changes this summer with stalwarts Andy Robertson and Mohamed Salah leaving the club along with Ibrahima Konaté. The new-look squad ended pre-season with a 2-0 win over Como at Anfield, with Cody Gakpo and Jeremy Jacquet on target, following earlier results against Sunderland, Wrexham, Leeds United and Monaco.

Van Dijk is encouraged by what Iraola achieved at Bournemouth last season and believes the approach can translate to Anfield.

"If you look at Bournemouth last year [under Iraola], I think they were pretty exciting," he added. "I would say if we keep working, keep believing, keep showing our quality, staying fit and hopefully win a lot of games, then we can be very excited. That's the aim, that's what we fight for, but we all know how tough it is."

"We all know how tough it is to be playing Premier League football, to be playing on all four fronts, but you have to embrace it. You have to enjoy the ride. We are all so blessed here and we have to keep going and enjoy it and that's what I will do, and I encourage everyone to do that as well. That's what I keep saying to the boys as well, so let's see."

Opener record

Liverpool head to St. James' Park in good form for openers, unbeaten in their first Premier League match in the last 13 seasons (W10 D3) since a 3-0 loss to West Brom in 2012-13. The Reds are also unbeaten in their last nine Premier League games against Newcastle at St. James' Park (W6 D3) and can equal the longest unbeaten away run against the Magpies in the competition.

Sources: https://www.fotmob.com/news/1x558i4on76sy1bm1m65dn93o5-everyone-is-up-challenge-at-liverpool-insists-van-dijk