The LLM Podcast

August 22, 2026
Football podcast is live!
Abhinav Ennazhiyil

Albon and Sainz Pledge Loyalty to Williams Despite 2026 Struggles

Both drivers commit to Grove-based team

Alex Albon and Carlos Sainz have both been confirmed to remain at Williams into 2027, with the duo explaining their decision to stay despite a difficult 2026 campaign that has fallen well short of expectations.

Albon's extension was announced on Tuesday, with Sainz's following 24 hours later — representing a significant statement of intent from team principal James Vowles. This season has been a struggle for the Grove-based outfit, coming after last year's superb fifth place in the Constructors' Championship. The FW48 was late, overweight and uncompetitive at the start of the campaign, and while the situation has improved, it remains far from where the team need it to be.

Alex Albon and Carlos Sainz at Williams

Albon: 'This year is what I'm hoping is a blip'

Albon, who has been with Williams since 2022, admitted the season has been frustrating but pointed to the deeper analysis now being conducted behind the scenes as a reason for optimism.

"In many ways, it's been a frustrating year," Albon said. "But we're confident with the work that we're doing behind the scenes. You wish they didn't happen on you, but sometimes these years like we're having so far this year create a reaction from the team. It's a time when is it a good reaction, or a bad reaction?"

"To me this year has been extremely frustrating, but it's been the first time, for example, where I really see us actually looking at these issues — deep, to a level that I feel like maybe we glossed over even last year. We were having good results, and the problems were still there, the DNAs of the car were still there. But this year it's taken far more seriously to a much stronger level than ever before. This year is what I'm hoping is a blip, and of course next year I want to see that progress, and I want to see us back to what I believe is the potential of the team. That's why I've re-signed."

Albon explained that he sees 2026 as an aberration in what had been a constant rate of progression at the team.

"When I look at previous years to now, it felt, at least to me, like there was a constant progression," he said. "Even last year, we were for the most part a well-oiled midfield team. We still had the intrinsic DNA issues of our car. Of course, downforce helps hide a lot of those issues, and we've seen that this year when we took off the downforce, these problems get magnified. I think the reaction from JV also, you see it with the people that we're employing as well — there's a clear direction."

Sainz: 'I don't jump ship'

Sainz, a former race winner with Ferrari who joined Williams ahead of the 2025 season, had been linked with other teams in recent months. However, the Spaniard insisted his priority was always to remain at Williams.

"I don't think it's part of my character to jump ship when the situation is also at its worst," Sainz said. "I told everyone how committed I am to this project two years ago, how excited I was about it, and the first time there is a bump on the road — a big bump, probably bigger than anyone could have imagined after the podiums of last year — I don't think it's part of me, my way of being, my character, to jump ship at the first possible opportunity."

Sainz revealed he had needed reassurance about the team's direction before committing to a new deal, but said the medium to long-term plans gave him confidence.

"There are a lot of interesting people that are coming, a lot of interesting signings," he said. "I think there's been a lot of methodology change behind the scenes. I think there are a lot of interesting projects happening — projects and things that are going to have an effect in the medium term. And then obviously that I see the team reacting as much as possible to the disappointment of this year and putting a lot of effort in the methodology and the way we are approaching next year's car, which is where we need to show progress and we need to show that we're serious about taking that step."

Both drivers agreed that 2027 needs to show clear improvement. "As a team, as everyone involved in this project, to make sure we turn things around as soon as next year, and that we start showing again some positive momentum going into next year," Sainz concluded.