The LLM Podcast

August 21, 2026
Football podcast is live!
Abhinav Ennazhiyil

FIFA bans Argentina players and staff for 21 games after World Cup final brawl

Argentina hit with sweeping sanctions after final scenes

FIFA has imposed a combined 21-match ban on Argentina players and staff following the mass confrontation that erupted after Spain’s 1-0 extra-time victory in the World Cup final.

Argentina players and staff involved in the aftermath of the World Cup final

The sanctions were confirmed on Friday after FIFA opened an investigation into the full-time scenes in July, when Spain celebrated its victory. The suspensions apply only to international matches and will not affect the players at club level.

Paredes receives 10-match suspension

Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes received the heaviest individual punishment, a 10-match international ban. He was sanctioned after appearing to grab Spain defender Eric Garcia by the throat before throwing midfielder Gavi to the ground.

Argentina defender Nahuel Molina was suspended for seven matches after appearing to strike Spain midfielder Rodri in the stomach as Rodri ran onto the field to celebrate. Paredes and Molina were each fined $90,000.

Argentina attacking midfielder Thiago Almada was given a one-match ban for unsporting behaviour, while team official Roberto Ayala received a three-match suspension for one count of assault. Both were fined $30,000.

Gavi was the only Spain player sanctioned. He received a one-match ban and a $30,000 fine for unsporting behaviour.

AFA fined over fan behaviour and banner

The Argentine Football Association was fined a total of $310,000 and ordered to close 50 per cent of its stadium for its next home match. A second one-match partial closure has been suspended for an unspecified probationary period.

FIFA said the federation’s case involved “using a sports event for demonstrations of a non-sporting nature”, as well as discrimination, racist abuse, and failures relating to order and security at matches. FIFA said $100,000 of the fine would be invested in a plan to combat discrimination, while another $100,000 remains suspended during a probationary period.

The disciplinary action also relates to a Falkland Islands banner displayed after Argentina’s semi-final victory over England. The banner read “Las Malvinas son Argentinas”, or “The Malvinas are Argentine”, and was initially shown in the crowd before appearing on the pitch at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Appeal window remains open

FIFA said the parties had been notified of the decisions and had 10 days to request a motivated decision. “The decisions remain subject to appeal,” the governing body said.

The AFA said it could ultimately take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, sport’s highest court of appeal.

Spain secured the title when Ferran Torres scored in extra time at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Sources: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/7529217/2026/08/21/argentina-world-cup-final-sanctions-bans